Yoga Therapy and Your Health
Yoga therapy focuses on healing at all levels and involves a number of practices that can help improve stress levels and other health conditions. (It is important to recognize that it is just one element of the healing process and that not all illness and disease can be cured. The healing process is unique to each person.)
Yoga therapy can help you:
- eliminate, reduce, or manage symptoms that cause your suffering
- improve bodily functions and help prevent the occurrence or re-occurrence of underlying causes of illness
- move toward improved health and wellbeing
The Holistic Approach of Yoga Therapy
Yoga has a unique relationship to health and wellness that begins with connecting and directing our awareness within. Each of the following areas we enhance creates a positive influence on the other.
Physical concerns can be improved with individually chosen movements which are carefully sequenced and attention to alignment, stretching, and strengthening.
Physiological imbalances such as indigestion or circulation can change with diet or exercise, including traditional and adapted yoga movement and postures.
Emotional and spiritual outlook can shift by directing awareness to one’s own existing spiritual or religious beliefs with a healing focus.
Psychological conditions such as anxiety, lethargy, depression or irritation can change through use of breathwork, meditation, mindfulness, and mantra (repetition of meaningful and uplifting words and sounds).
“I have had osteoarthritis since my 40’s and yoga has been a wonderful way to keep my joints moving and to reduce pain. Claudia’s gentle methods brought me back again and again. She understands the needs of each of her students and gears her class to ensuring their needs are met. She pushes you to the point that ensures you are gaining ground each week but knows exactly how to help you personally when you have had a rough day or you have a specific problem.”
Benefits of yoga include:
- Gaining strength, body tone, and flexibility
- Bringing you to a complete state of balance, restoring and rejuvenating the mind and body
- Detoxifying the body by circulating fresh blood and releasing old toxins
- Boosting the immunity system
- Reducing or eliminating aches and pains, stiffness, fatigue, insomnia, digestive problems, headaches, sluggishness
- Strengthening mental and emotional clarity and hormonal balance
- Relieving stress and tension that builds up in the body